Sunday 7 December 2008

Killing worms

Back to the can-o-worms. Well I thought they were all dead. After some advice i think they were not but I bought some more who seem to be eating the moisture mat on the top rather than the food but there you go. I have gleaned from what I have read that they take to settle in and become efficient. Tonight and last night have been below 0 (C that is, I'm in UK) so I'm thinking that is slowing them down. I've debated bringing them in the garage but i think i might crash into them every time I park (not a big garage, a Peugeot 106 fits in tightly) so I'm not too sure. I made some food I wanted to put on here but temporarily mislaid my camera and felt the pics would really help explain what I'm on about. I've located my cam so just need make it all again.

I'm debating going in for bokashi. Why? Well I'm dead keen on home composting, all my growing occurs om my allotment maybe 3/4 of a mile away. At this time of year I don't even get there once a week really. One of the main reasons people tend to bokashi is to get rid of dead animals (meat) and so on. I don't eat dead animals so most of my cooked food could venture to the wormery. But they are too slow (at the moment anyway), and don't like onions and citrus (I do!). I think if I went in for bokashi-ing I could bokashi food worms wouldn't like, I could take it down the allotment when its pickled, in it's lidded container (not my stinky, open top compost collector I use now), then either add it to my existing heap or use for trench composting. Hmmm anyone bokaski?

I'm also debating either starting a new blog or expanding this one. Why? Well I'm hooked on several medblogs, I'm a nurse and I want to talk about that. Also I'm starting a business as a complimentary therapist and want to talk about that. Is this the appropriate space for either of those. or should this just be a kitchen garden place (with the emphasis on kitchen)? *sigh*

Ahhh, I'm also desperate to buy a dehydrator. I know many raw people are a little down on them, but I think if I had more denser 'raw' stuff I could munch on I'd probably eat more raw foods. I mean check out this amazing recipe from Shazzie. I mean raw crispy pancakes! Yeah I can go for that.

How To Get Started With Raw Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment