Monday 7 February 2011

Hmm I thought I'd blogged before about detergents but seems I've just talked about various laundry balls i wanted to talk about the boring topic of laundry, mostly because my long held traditions have changed. In the post about balls i talked about the magnoball and laundry balls as well as dryer balls. Well dryer balls are the only ones I'm still using.

I didn't get on with laundry balls because I'm a bit dyspraxic so my clothes do get mucky and need real detergent. I'd been using ecover laundry products and washing up liquid for years, bought on-line, in bulk from wiggly wigglers. I've also tried faith in nature and BioD and found them all much of a muchness. I also tried the Method laundry detergent which is fab but prohibitively expensive. Towards the end of last year I'd ran out of laundry liquid and in the shop noticed that the ecover product was nearly 3x the cost of the supermarket own brand. I bought own brand and have ever since, I'm not sure I'd say it was better, but it sure as hell is cheaper, and I can't see me switching back anytime soon.

Then between Christmas and new years we had a crisis of washing up liquid (No dishwasher here :( ). I sent husband round the shop and he returned with a bottle a fairy liquid. Well it was a 650ml bottle and we are only just over halfway through it, we would have used a litre of my usual brands by now. Is it better to use a smaller amount of less biodegradable detergent, or more of a more biodegradable detergent? There is a stream near where I live with hideously foamy water and I'd hate be contributing to that. But I need clean, clothes and plates and so on without breaking the bank. What's a girl to do?

On a cheerier note, I would still heartily recommend dryer balls. Noisy buggers but they make things softer and dry in less time, and believe me I have done a lot of tumble drying this winter.

Does anyone have stong feelings about laundry they want to share?

2 comments:

  1. We were so happy to read that you are an Ecover fan and have had great results from our ecological cleaning products. We do hope you'll try them again in the future ... and if you'd like to receive some coupons, please call 1-800-449-4925 or email us at marketingassistus@ecover.com.
    All the best,
    Deb for Ecover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried soap nuts? I generally find that they get most dirt out without any trouble, although if you like your whites nice and bright then they don't manage that.

    ReplyDelete