Friday 14 November 2008

Quesadillias

Following on from the last post's Mexican theme I thought I'd follow up with some gloriously inauthentic quesadillas. I love these. When I first made quesdillias they were cheese filled wheat tortillas - deep fried. Then I realised I'd like to live beyond 50 so I worked on my own version. I love them, I hope you do too.
They are easy and fun and er, best served with guacamole, salsa, and all that lovely stuff.
The recipe says corn tortillas but that's just 'cause they're my favourite, any old tortillas will do.

  • Corn tortillas (usually come in packs of 8 or 12)
  • Small tin of sweetcorn (or stripped from 2 fresh cobs), drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 to 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 125g of mushrooms, sliced
  • 50g cheddar (or other hard cheese, not too mature), grated
  • 1 ball mozzarella, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 chillis, finely chopped (adjust to taste!)
  • 3 tbs rapeseed or other cooking oil

Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a pan and gently fry off the onions, when translucent add the mushrooms and bell peppers, the mushrooms should reduce in volume by about half then toss in the drained corn. When some of the corn begins to look toasted, pop into a mixing bowl to cool a little.

Chuck the other ingredients except the tortillas and oil into the mixing bowl, and mix it well.

Pop 1 to 2 dsp of the mix into the middle is of a tortilla, then fold it into half or a quarter (or stuff it between two tortillas, all depends on how much filling to how many tortillas, really). You are supposed to at this point, be able to seal the tortilla using a dab of cold water. All I can say is make sure you have some cocktail sticks to hold them together.

Once you've made all the tortillas you can brush them with oil (optional) and pop them in the middle of a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6 (200 degrees C I think) for 10 minutes.

Eat, and try not to burn yourself on the hot filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment