Wednesday 30 October 2013

Vegan November

Okay so it's 2 1/2 years since I posted here but let's gloss over that for now ...

I'm back. Why, you ask? Well I'm taking on Animal Aid's vegan November one month challenge, and I thought I'd document the challenges, the fun and the unexpected issues that crop up as a result of this. 

I'm a long term dedicated vegetarian and the hubby's even been veggie for half a decade now, so why choose now to try vegan? Well lots of reasons, really. Veganism is certainly more ethically consistent than vegetarianism.  For hubby, well he keeps reading about vegan ultra runners on the internet (not that he's an ultra runner yet, he's doing his first marathon in April) and I think 1) he thinks it will improve his performance; and 2) he fancies wearing one those vegan runner vests! For me, well I've lost about 4 stone this year so far but recently that's stalled big time. It's mostly about having gone back to work and in trying to balance the competing demands of my son, a home and working full time, I seem to have decided that eating vast quantities of galaxy is the way to go. It's not, of course it's not but I'm hoping a diet that puts milk chocolate, cheese and cream cakes firmly off the menu will help me get back into eating something approaching healthily. Of course minimising cruelty and slaughter is the real reason (if you aren't aware of the level of slaughter involved in dairy & egg production, do a bit of research, just be prepared for it to be distressing). 

No comments:

Post a Comment